The weeks continue to fly by in the football season. Last week didn’t provide many upsets at the top but we still have a few risers.
1. Alabama: They took care of business but had their worst offense performance versus a top tier defense in Mississippi State. Tua left the game with an injury and should be limited or held out this week vs the Pop Warner team, the Citadel.
2. Clemson: Dominating performance would be an understatement. They out-gained Boston College 424-113. BC is known for their run game and they mustered 4 yards… Trevor Lawrence looked confident and comfortable. I expect Clemson to remain unchallenged until the playoffs start.
3. Notre Dame: Talking heads continue to say the Irish will slip up, but I’m here to tell you that they won’t. Ian Book should be back this week for their game versus Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. Notre Dame will control both lines again and win by double digits.
4. Michigan: The Big 10 should be worshiping Michigan for keeping the conference relevant. Between the schools success in college basketball and the now greater success in football, they are a bright spot to an under performing conference. Michigan is healthy and will roll this weekend. Shea is becoming the quarterback everyone expected he would be when he originally committed and played at Ole Miss.
5. Georgia: There is a big drop off from our big 4 to this 5 spot. Georgia defense hasn’t improved much this season but that offense is electric. It will take them beating Alabama to make the playoffs but Jake Fromm has become one of the best signal callers in college football. Look for them to rest some folks and ensure health going into this final stretch.
6. Oklahoma: What a wild game in Stillwater last weekend. Oklahoma defense came to play when their team needed it most. I understand the defense is awful… But their offense makes up for it, and then some. Loaded with NFL talent and the most dynamic quarterback at the college level, they are almost guaranteed to drop 40 every week. (Except against Army, funny enough). They will most likely play West Virginia in back-to-back games for the Big 12 title. Depending on how things shake up at the top OU could sneak their way in to the 4 spot.
7. Washington: They’re not a sexy team or a name you dream about watching but this team can play. Next Friday Washington squares off against Washington State, which will be a great game as long as Washington State doesn’t slip up playing Arizona this weekend. Jake Browning would love to end his career on a double digit win season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that dream come true.
8. Ohio State: The on the field performance may not constitute this ranking but the talent is there. If this team ever gets their head on straight we could see them cause a lot problems. Look back at the Penn State and TCU games. They seem to play up or play down to their competition. As mentioned before, we can’t wait for the Ohio State versus Michigan game.
9. West Virginia: similar to Oklahoma, West Virginia has a dynamic offense and struggling defense. Will Grier continues to impress everyone each time he takes the field. I don’t expect the points to slow down ahead of the OU match up in a few weeks.
10. UCF: They’re back! Milton has the team humming ahead of their national matchup this Saturday night. This Cincinnati team has been one of the biggest surprise performances of the season. I suspect UCF to score early and often. They will drum Cincy.
Blow Out Alert: Were on a roll, 2 consecutive outright underdog winners! This week we change up and recognize a total mismatch that will have a team score over 50! UCF is being completely undervalued this year. Folks are waiting on them to faulter and Cincinnati doesn’t have the team to do that. The Bearcats will be asking a lot of a freshmen quarterback, just go on the road and break the nation’s longest win streak. No big deal. The run game has been their staple this year and if they get behind early, UCF will run away. Milton is feeling things right now and will be up 35-7 at the half. Lay the points with UCF and relax.